Welcome to nfoWare. nfoWare is a web site devoted to the promotion of information processing technologies and resources. nfoWare is also the collective term for materials and artifacts of the sort that fit that notion.
nfoWare consists of web-published books, articles, software, and some collaboration vehicles all about information processing (except that we will avoid "information" until we can come to grips with the notion in a technically-satisfying and useful way). Situating Data is the immediate focus, even though that can't go too far without touching on Situated Computation as well. We will look at that from the perspective of data processing, for now.
The site is under serious early construction and there is mostly initial scaffolding at the moment. Sections now under development include
- the web presence for Situating Data, an on-line book about data, its value to us, and all the different ways it is employed and experienced
- Exploring bits, a fundamental part of the nfoWare on-line book on Situating Data
- One of the main applications of data in computer systems is carrying of textual information. This is a focus that draws on bits, bytes, characters, codes, files and streams to consider organized text and its external and internal forms.
- Tools and basic tool knowledge required for use of nfoWare: access to the site, to eBooks, and to other forms of nfoWare. Toolcraft also covers required tool knowledge and skills for participating in creation and usage of nfoWare tools. It extends from browsers to Windows to Unix, Java, and .NET. One challenge is to factor this into a manageable set that also reveals how significantly toolcraft figures in the current state of information technology and its application.
- Situating trust in the context of data (for now) and what it means to trust data, what the use of technical trust structures are (such as signed nfoWare code) and what that trust situation involves, and so on. A larger topic that will be represented here for connection to data and the commitment to trust and confirmable experience for nfoWare
- This is not about the meaning of life or answers to "What's It All About, Alfie?" It is about how we attribute meaning and where we situate meaning and its relationship to situation of data, computation, information, knowledge, etc. This is particulary important in Situating XML because of the presumption that we are marching our way to The Semantic Web and something that has to do with capturing meaning in a computationally-manipulatable form.
- Accumulated notes on topics in "information processing," including why "nfoWare" and "information?" Some of these may find their way into a FAQ section. There'll probably be a note about that.
- A glossary for use in conjunction with nfoWare topics. It is also a laboratory for collaborative development of glossaries (and other items of that nature).
- Definitions of past, present, and future projects, along with notes and diaries for nfoWare projects
- Construction Material
- The section that is about the construction of the nfoWare.com web presence itself. This provides documentation of the organization and operation of nfoWare.com, including ways that aspects of operation are tested and confirmed. It is an application of situated data.
created 2004-01-05-20:12 -0800 (pst) by orcmid